Legal Experience and Local Roots

Offering professional legal services to individuals and businesses since 1986.

How to file a complaint against homeowner’s association board member

On Behalf of | Jul 22, 2016 | Real Estate Law |


Owning a home is often considered an essential part of the American dream, but sometimes your neighborhood’s homeowner’s association board seems determined to turn the dream into the great American nightmare. Conflicts with a homeowner association board member can usually be solved civilly, but occasionally a conflict or abuse of power is such that taking official action is the most reasonable course of action. If and when such a measure is necessary, it is helpful to know the proper procedure for filing an official complaint against a troublesome board member of your homeowner’s association or unit owner in Nevada.

All of the relevant forms can be found here on the Nevada Real Estate Division’s website. First, print copies of the Intervention Affidavit Instructions and the Intervention Affidavit, forms 530A and 530 respectively. If you are unable to print the forms, you may request them by phone or in person at the Nevada Real Estate Division office.


Following the instructions on the form, send a certified return receipt letter to the individual with whom you are in conflict, complete with your suggestions on how to resolve your conflict. If you do not receive a response within 14 days, attach a copy of your certified letter and a copy of the certified return receipt card to the completed Intervention Affidavit and either mail or hand deliver the notarized Intervention Affidavit to the Ombudsmans office.

There are many unexpected ways that homeownership can be challenging, and resolving conflicts with other homeowners or with a homeowner’s association is rarely one of the things you anticipate when purchasing a home. A qualified real estate attorney can help guide through these and many other unexpected challenges to being a satisfied homeowner.